Saturday, February 02, 2008

123 Meme

Happy, at A Fundamental Shift passed on a meme to a mutual friend, Jemila, who then tagged me. The rules are…. “simple” and the results humorous:

Pick up the nearest book of 123 pages or more. No cheating!
Find Page 123.
Find the first 5 sentences.
Post the next 3 sentences.
Tag 5 people.

So, just so you all know, my laptop is on a little desk in my kitchen. I don't often keep my books (outside cookbooks) in the kitchen due to it several spills in the past that have left my books looking rather poorly. So, tonight, I found my husband's book, which should thrill each of you with it's profundity! ;-)

From The Guitar AMP Handbook: Understanding Tube Amplifiers and Getting Great Sounds:

"There are a lot of uses for the things, no doubt, and if you don't already own one, I'm sure almost every player reading this can imagine a situation in which a good attenuater would be handy.

They do, nonetheless, by the nature of their operation, have inherent...I wouldn't want to call them 'drawbacks,' but let's just say "elements of their function' that sometimes make your rig sound not exactly like a less loud version of the same amp. The first is that driving your speakers at different levels obviously makes them perform differently; any speaker's reaction and interaction to and with the amp is a big part of the amp's overall sound, and these speakers sound differently when driven hard than they do when driven gently."


So, there you have it. Guitar philosophy at its finest.

I tag:

Kate
Brad
Julie
Kathy
Tanya

(Kate, Brad and Tanya...this is just a reason for you all to put up a new post on your blogs)!

2 comments:

Jemila Kwon said...

I love it. I no nothing about guitars, but I do know that people respond different being driven hard or driven gently :)

Amy said...

I had to laugh at that part, Jemila. My husband has five guitars now and is quite particular about the way he combines the guitar with a particular amp (of which he has two, but wants more) to obtain a specific sound. Apparently it's quite an intimate process!