Monday, April 23, 2007

Thankfulness in Blessings

A good friend of mine, who happens to be a real estate agent, recently commented to me that she is struggling to see the blessings God is giving her in her business as just that, blessings.

I knew immediately what she was talking about. The fact is that increased business is an answer to prayer for her as she meets the needs of her family. Rather than thanking God for meeting this need, she is stressed out trying to balance life in the midst of this blessing.

I know what she's talking about because I do this myself. I ask God for something, God gives it to me and I complain about the results, meanwhile failing to recognize or rejoice in the blessing provided by God. As I considered my own response, my mind went back to a scripture memorized long, long ago:

Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Phil 4:4-7 TNIV

I've heard this exhortation to the Philippian believers used often to talk about rejoicing in hard times. It seems as if it even goes beyond that, though. Just take a look at the language chosen by the author: Rejoice in the Lord ALWAYS; Let your gentleness be evident to ALL; Do not be anxious for ANYTHING; in EVERY situation...present your request; God's peace which transcends ALL understanding...

This choice of words does not separate out good from bad. All means just that...all, every, always...nothing is excluded. All isn't a formula to check off. It's everything and all the time. It's also difficult for me to comprehend.

The author also emphasizes the first exhortation, Rejoice in the Lord...always. Emphasis is indicative of the fact that this is important. For me, practicing the art, or maybe spiritual discipline, of rejoicing in the Lord is critical to my outlook on life.

There's so much more to these verses, but for me tonight I take two things away:

- In the midst of life, all of it, I can turn my eyes to a God that is plenty big enough for my circumstances, and "is near."
- I need to work on (with God's help) practicing rejoicing and thanksgiving, in all situations.

0 comments: