Saturday, April 07, 2007

Holy Saturday

Having grown up within the Pentecostal church, we never really paid too much attention to Lent, Holy Week and such. It was pretty much all about the resurrection. This year, I've celebrated Lent and paid much closer attention to the church traditions as Easter has approached.

The resurrection is, of course, incredible...indescribable in what it means to a Christ-follower. It seems to me, though, that the magnitude of the resurrection is lost when not enconsed within the story of Christ's suffering and death.

I'm reminded of a book I recently read entitled How (Not) to Speak of God. In the book, he describes a community of Christ's disciples that upon his crucifixion pack up their belongings and head off. They form a new community far away and continue to follow the example of Jesus within that community. It is not until hundreds of years later that a missionary comes to their community and shares with them the story of the resurrection.

I wonder if I could do that. Could I live knowing that my savior, my rabbi was crucified and my dreams were crushed? As amazing as that story is, though, and the questions that it brings to my own heart, I also question whether that's missing the point. The resurrection is an integral part of God's plan for the redemption of humans to Godself.

For me, the critical middle ground lies in recognizing both the crucifixion and the resurrection. Apart from each other, the meaning of God's work on the earth cannot be adequately understood. Without understanding the suffering of Christ, we cannot begin to fathom the sacrifice and the love present in this amazing act. Without the resurrection, the redemption is incomplete and we are still bound to the law.

The following prayer is from The Divine Hours: Prayers for Springtime:

O God, creator of heaven and earth: grant that, as the crucified body of you dear son was laid to rest in the tomb and rested on this holy Sabbath, so I may await with him the coming of the third day, and rise with him to newness of life; who now lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, forever and ever. Amen.

I pray for all blessings on this Holy Saturday and for God's presence in our lives as we consider both the horrendous crucifixion of Good Friday and the joyous celebration of Easter Sunday. Amen.

0 comments: