Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Celebration of Love

Today my husband and I celebrate nine years of marriage. To be quite honest, the last year has had some significant bumps in the midst of good times. The eight years before had their own issues as well. We are coming to understand each other as we are rather than the person we would like the other to be.

I've been reflecting on what it means to love in the context of marriage. While reading a book, Exiles, I came across a quote by Madeleine L'Engle that seems to describe love as I have come to understand it.

My love for my husband and his for me is in that unknown, underwater area of ourselves where our separations become something new and strange, merge and penetrate like the drops of water in the sea. But we do not lose our solitudes, our our particularity, and we become more than we could alone.

This is mystery. I cannot explain it. But I have learned that it makes up for our clashes, our differences in temperament, our angers, our withdrawals, our failures to understand.

No long-term marriage is made easily, and there have been times when I've been so angry or so hurt that I thought my love would never recover. And then, in the midst of near despair, something has happened beneath the surface. A bright little flashing of hope has flicked silver fins and the water is bright and suddenly I am returned to a state of love again-till next time.

I've learned that there will always be a next time, and that I will submerge in darkness, but that I won't stay submerged. And each time something has been learned under the waters; something has been gained; and a new kind of love has grown. The best I can ask for is that this love, which has been built on countless failures, will continue to grow. I can say no more than that this is mystery, and gift, and that somehow or other, through grace, our failures can be redeemed and be blessed.


Today we celebrate the blessing that comes with nine years of joys and failures, of fulfillment and disappointment, of unity and of seemingly uncompromising division. We celebrate the bravery in continuing to travel together. In that place we find the mystery, we find love, we find each other.

Happy Anniversary, Eddie. I love you.

5 comments:

tanya said...

Happy Anniversary! What a gift it has been to have you in our lives - your friendship is really important to us and has really blessed us. We need to double date again soon - it was so fun!

Brad said...

hey sis, I completely forgot to wish you a happy anniversary (too involved in my own [physical] pain that day).

I love you two.

Happy said...

Hey, Amy! Happy Anniversary, a couple days late.

Thanks for the L'Engle quote - I have friends who are getting married soon with whom I would love to share that! :)

Real letter coming soon! Lots to tell you.

Love,
Happy

Jim Ladd said...

Happy anniversary to two of the most impressive and amazing people I know!

You guys are a wonderful example of depth and devotion to us all.

Amy said...

Thanks for all the warm wishes. For those of you who know our family, you'll laugh that we celebrated our anniversary in purchasing a new(er) car for Eddie...and no, it's not a Porsche (thank goodness)!

Happy, I loved that quote when I found it. It was so expressive of the depth of reality of walking together in marriage. Which, btw, it was in a chapter on worship in that book, "Exiles". You would like that chapter, I think.

Pastor Jim, thanks. I'm thinking you may be talking about the wrong couple, though! ;-)