Thursday, October 11, 2007

UnChristian Meme

I've been tagged by Happy on a new meme going around. (You can find out more about meme's in general and this on in particular at her site).

This meme is based on a book unChristian: What a New Generation Really Thinks about Christianity...and Why It Matters.

The tasks for the meme are to note three negative stereotypes of Christians and then one thing for which Christians should be known for.

Negative Stereotypes

Christians don't care for the poor. (Notice I didn't say that they don't "think about"). I have found that Christians are better at talking about and giving money to the poor or those we consider in need in any variety of ways much more than we are willing to get involved in actual lives and care for these same people. I say "we" because I find a fair amount of fault in myself on this one.

Christians are not willing to engage in thoughtful intellectual discussion. I find this one especially the case in "hot topic" areas. It is much easier to slam the door on the discussion than to engage and think and reason through. My thought is that this has a lot to do with fear.

Christians' primary concerns are fighting abortion and homosexuality. These are both hot-button areas and as such tend to get a lot of attention from media. I think the perception can easily be these are the issues for Christians.

What Christians should be known for

The bringing about of God's shalom, God's amazing peace and wholeness, to all of creation.

I'm captivated by what shalom means in the Bible and what that should then mean to followers of Christ today. What would life be if we viewed ourselves as God's peace-makers, as creators of wholeness and rightness within our world. Not in the sense of conquering and teaching right ways to others, but in serving?

Now, I tag:

Katie
Brad
Pastor Jim

2 comments:

Jim Ladd said...

I think what Christians should be known for is radical, extravagant and reckless love.

"By this will all men know that you are my disciples"

It is radical and reckless, and expensive, love that prompts the Christian to fight off those negative realities and to risk into the world of what we should be known for.

Fear is the big obstacle, I agree. Only perfect love will cast out fear.

Amy said...

Thanks, Pastor Jim.

I think it is this radical and subversive love that ultimately brings shalom.

Passionately seeking God and loving others should change the way we live. As we interact with others, we should bring the reality of God's shalom into all those experiences.

That is such a convicting thought for me.