Friday, November 09, 2007

The Lord Came Near

This has been a week where I felt the Lord came near. I did not feel God's presence in an emotional way, but a very practical way.

Wednesday was the epitome of the week. Besides it being my husbands birthday, my brother was scheduled to defend his thesis, a moment long anticipated.

While getting ready to head out the door in the morning, I received a call I've been waiting on for five and a half long months. It was at that point that one of my closest friends packed up herself and her family to take her husband down to the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, FL. They had been told that the chances of receiving a life-saving liver transplant for her husband here in Colorado was unlikely do some particulars in his disease that are different than most liver diseases and therefore not factored in to transplant priorities. At the time they moved, the average liver wait was 4-6 weeks. They assumed it would be a 2-3 month time period and then they would all move back to Colorado.

Needless to say, it didn't happen that way. Instead, they have had a difficult path to walk, including the complete removal of Roald's colon due to a high likelihood of the development of cancer. It began to feel as if this moment would never arrive. They received a call that there was a potential liver at 7:30 Wednesday morning. Roald was put through all necessary pre-op procedures, but it wasn't until 7:30 that evening that they showed up in his hospital room with the wheelchair and the news that this was it.

Roald came through surgery very well and seems to be recovering even faster than the doctors originally anticipated.

My brother passed the defense with just a few changes to make before the final.

My husband successfully marked off another year on the calendar.

I am blessed by God's continued presence.

2 comments:

Brad said...

just a few changes??

I FEEL like I have to rewrite the whole damn thing!!

Oh well, as Kate said, it was like having a baby.

I grunted and groaned at my prof's and out popped a successfully defended thesis.

Now I just gotta wipe the blood and stuff off it, smack it on the bum and make it breath!!

Not long now.

And . . . Halleluja for Roald, and was that gray hair I saw at the old man's temples??

Amy said...

Oh, Brad. It's all perspective! You're not rewriting the whole thing, so anything else is just minor, don't you think!? ;-) I know it's tough to hunker down again, but you're almost there!