Thursday, November 08, 2007

Redemption of the Whore

OK...I couldn't help the title. You think my words are strong, try the book of Jeremiah.

I have to admit as I first started digging into Jeremiah, I struggled. There's some strong language used in regard to the people of Israel. For instance, in Jer. 2:23-25, God says,

...See how you behaved in the valley;
consider what you have done.
You are a swift she-calmel
running here and there,
a wild donkey accustomed to the desert,
sniffing the wind in her craving -
in her heat who can restrain her?
Any males that pursue her need not tire
themselves;
at mating time they will find her.


I laughed when I read this. God sure didn't mince words in this description of Israel's unfaithfulness. I also struggled when I read this. I have a hard time accepting God's anger. Although as I think about it, I can understand God's anger, but trying to reconciling the love and anger together gets me.

Yet, throughout Jeremiah, it is evident that there is this ongoing dialog of God's anger and love. In fact, almost in response to the graphic language in the above reference, chapter 31 has corresponding voice of redemption:

The Lord appeared to us in the past, saying:

I have loved you with an everlasting
love;
I have drawn you with unfailing
kindness.
I will build you up again,
and you, Virgin Israel, will be rebuilt.
Again you will take up your timbrels
and go out to dance with the joyful...


Wow. When this verse is considered in comparison with the verse above, you cannot help but see a message of restoration. In our world that loads an extra "sin factor" on sexual sin, I find it quite amazing that God has restored the "she-camel in heat" to a virgin. This is obviously a biblical theme. Hosea is a great example of that. God told Hosea to marry a prostitute. The relationship between Hosea and his wife was used to provide a mirror as to God's relationship with the children of Israel. It seems that God is pretty interested in communicating that despite the most intimate form of adultery, despite the prostituting of God's people to other gods, this God of love restores and restores with purity.

I still don't really understand the interplay of God's anger and mercy. But in these stories, I do find this intense desire for restoration on God's part. I may not understand, but I find that I can trust.

0 comments: