Monday, December 03, 2007

Mary's Heart

I received this poem in via e-mail this week from our local CBE chapter. (The poem was written by Madeleine L'Engle, copied from a piece of choral music for 4 female voices. Published by H.W. Gray Puablications, c/o Belwin, Inc. 1989
Music by Daniel E. Gawthrop)

Mary Speaks by Madeleine L'Engle

O you who bear the pain of the whole earth, I bore you.
O you whose tears gave human tears their worth, I laughed with you.
You, who when your hem is touched, give pow'r, I nourished you.
Who turn the day to night in this dark hour, Light comes from you.

O you who hold the world in your embrace, I carried you.
Whose arms encircled the world with your grace. I once held you.
O you who laughed and ate and walked the shore, I played with you.
And I, who with all others, you died for,
now I hold you, now I hold you, now I hold you.

May I be faithful to this final test, in this last time I hold my child, my son;
his body close enfolded to my breast:
the holder held, the bearer borne.
Mourning to joy, darkness to morn.
Open, my arms; Open, my arms; your work is done.


What a beautiful image of Mary. Her mother's heart both holding and relinquishing her son. She understands his mission, but being God's son does not make him any less her's. It does not mitigate her pain. She opens her arms are releases her son for his purpose, holding to the promised hope of his purpose.

2 comments:

Brad said...

that is a powerful image.

what would it have been to know Jesus in that way? To watch him grow up, watch him minister, watch him die?

It is a whole other kind of love for God isn't it?

Sometimes I think that one of the problems w/christians is a lack of love for Jesus. I know we talk about it but it is hard to love something we can't comprehend. So we follow because we have been commanded, told that this is what we have to do.

What would it look like if we could have even the tiniest amount of Mary's love for her son?

Happy said...

That's beautiful, Amy - thanks for sharing that. I love Madeleine L'Engle's work - she's in a better place now, but oh, will her voice be missed...