Saturday, March 15, 2008

Satisfaction

Last night Eddie went out on a date thanks to good friends who we swap childcare with (Thanks Brian & Tanya)! We stuffed ourselves on Mexican food and then went to the bookstore.

These days I generally buy books on amazon.com. There's nothing like a good evening at the bookstore, though. I spent the evening walking around reading titles, peaking inside books. I walked away with my own little stack and am so excited to start reading! So, the new books in my libary are:

Surprised by Hope: Rethinking Heaven, the Resurrection, and the Mission of the Church by N.T. Wright - I haven't read any of N.T. Wright yet, but have heard wonderful things so I'm excited to start this book

Fugitive Denim: A Moving Story of People and Pants in the Borderless World of Global Trade by Rachel Louise Snyder - This book takes a look at the intricate nature of global trade in mapping the process of making a pair of jeans, specifically in this case, jeans that ensure fair wages for the workers and minimal environmental impact. It should be an interesting read.

Coaching People by Harvard Business School Press - I'm leading a volunteer and leadership development process at our church and I'm hoping this little book gives some good tips for coaching.

I purchased two books by Henri Nouwen, Spiritual Direction and Finding My Way Home - I've also heard great thing about Nouwen, so am eager to start these as well.

All in all, I have to say I feel quite satisfied this evening.

5 comments:

Dave said...

N T Wright on The Christ Files http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid1321273398/bclid1376842859/bctid1427347569

Unknown said...

The Wright book is great. I just got the Fugitive Denim book from the library and looking forward to reading it.

Amy said...

David, thanks for the link. Nice video.

Julie, I'm just over 25 pages into Wright's book and love it. I thought of you when I picked up Fugitive Denim, so I laughed that you've picked it up already, too. You'll probably get to it before me, so I look forward to your thoughts!

Melissa said...

Amy - Thanks for dropping by my site the other day. I am feeling much, much better - thank you! Especially with spring weather here.

You can look at the materials and purchase the "It's Time" Material here. It is a resource of the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship but the content works well with any denomination. Of the 8 chapters, there is one chapter that is focused on Baptist distinctives but you could skip that if it doesn't apply.

Amy said...

Thanks so much, Melissa. I'll be checking it out!