Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Leadership Development and the Suffering Servant

Our church leadership team has been completing the StrengthsFinder survey as part of our leadership development process. The Strengthsfinder is a morph on the traditional personality test and focuses on areas of strength. The theory is that we are more productive when working within areas that give an internal sense of excitement and fulfillment and that people will be more productive and successful overall when spending time maximizing these strengths rather than attempting to minimize or grow in areas of weakness. (For those familiar with the test, my strengths are Learner, Intellection, Acheiver, Input and Responsibility).

As I help in this process, I've been reading a book, Go Put Your Strengths to Work. This book takes the Strengthsfinder philosophy to the next level. It addresses how to manage your work environment to your strengths through several practical steps. And this is exactly where I'm stuck.

I really like the concept of working in our strengths. I like the idea even more when partnered with the knowledge that God has created each individual unique and has called us to work in community to be the physical representation of Christ in our world. There is no doubt in my mind that God has gifted us and used the experiences in our lives to work for the good of the Kingdom.

I struggle with the way to actually implement the idea of working in our strengths. First off, as a stay-at-home mom, the strategy in the book is incredibly unrealisitic in my day to day life. Breaking up fights, driving back and forth to schools & activites and doing laundry are definitely NOT things that bring excitement and passion to my life! At a deeper level, I have to wonder about the approach of focusing on always making my environment work for me. Go Put Your Strengths to Work does recognize that you can't always work in your strengths, but the goal is to work toward the greatest percentage of time being spent in those things that you excel at and that bring personal fulfillment.

In the gospels, particularly the book of Mark, Jesus is portrayed as suffering servant in the way of the prophets in the Old Testament. The expectation was that the Messiah would be crowned King, not die a shameful death on a cross. I doubt that Jesus, as he approached Jerusalem, or as he knelt crying out to the Father in the Garden of Gethsemane, was operating feeling impassioned and personal fulfillment. It seems to me that he sacrificed himself for a vision and purpose greater than his own fulfillment and yet ultimately gained the fulfillment of restored relationship.

The fact of the matter is that of my top strengths, mercy is glaringly missing. It's not a natural strength of mine. Yet, that doesn't let me off the hook. The Bible is pretty clear about where my motivation should spring from. Any knowledge or accomplishments I obtain are worthless without love. In addition to the requirement of love, Jesus makes it clear that the highest commandments are to love the Lord with all our hearts, minds, souls and strength and to love others as yourself.

I think one of the keys to keep in mind as we develop the gifts God has given us is that it cannot be all about us. The purpose of using our gifts is to build the Kingdom, to offer God's love in our community and our world. As such there's a fine balance of using our gifts and growing an attitude of humility and community in service of our Creator and Redeemer.

11 comments:

One Voice of Many said...

Good insight. I agree that this kind of information is great to have as long as we can take it in moderation and appropriate timing. Rather, I tend to read that kind of thing and be remorseful that I can't fulfill every bit of the prescription given.

You are definitely sacrificing your time and energy for a greater responsibility. But, it is also helpful to know what your strengths and weaknesses are for the purpose of developing both in your current lifestyle as well as what the future will bring.

Things don't stay the same, life takes turns and morphs into different things. As Jesus lived in each situation before Him we must also live in our moments.

I'm glad that you didn't go off the ledge with feeling like you should be doing something more, some else - or at least not for long before bringing it back into a good balance.

Michelle

Amy said...

Michelle, I do think moderation is key. I like knowing my strengths and being able to work in those more and more. As my kids get older, I am feeling much more freedom to develop these areas as well.

I like the way you wrote As Jesus lived in each situation before Him we must also live in our moments. That describes it perfectly.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
One Voice of Many said...

Amy -
It's definitely something that I'm working very diligently on retraining my brain -- to live in the current moment; whatever that may be.

Michelle

Amy said...

It is a re-training, isn't it. Bummer we can't just flip a switch.

Jemila Kwon said...

Wonderful post, Amy.

One thing I have been doing lately is to cultivate a sense of gratitude for all experiences and to see/intuit them as ultimately contributing to what I am here to God's ultimate Way.

For example, I am not patient by nature, yet working to be present and love unconditionally when my kids are not conforming to my wishes/perceived needs is offering me so many gifts in the form of getting opportunities to heal parts of myself I've condemned because of how I've responded internally (and to a lesser extent externally) to what I see of myself in my kids in the past. By giving these opportunities, I can heal now instead of holding all that guilt and having to try to recreate the situation and do it over/see it differently in my imagination in a shrink's office. We keep getting teachers until we get the lesson and our kids often are the most willing professors when it comes to our shadows and our spirits.

I for one am coming to appreciate my kids so much more, whereas I have often profoundly fought being a stay-at-home mom, like you, it doesn't immediately use alot of my gifts and often brings out weaknesses. At the same time, as I heal I feel liberated to open to what God has for me in addition to my family, but less from a needy, fearful "I have to get away to get an ego-boost" kind of way that has covered my canvas until recently.

I have no doubt that your waiting will produce wonder and you will walk into a career which harnesses your strengths without being an escape from that which God wants to heal and cultivate within you!

Anonymous said...

hey amy, thanks for this. i think what you are saying is really significant, acknowledging that even though we might have certain gifts & strengths, there are times because of the sacrifices we need to make we just plain old can't use them the way that we want to. i do think we need to find some ways to express ourselves, though, especially during the season of parenting little ones, otherwise we will wither up from lack of passion & creativity but it will have to be in much smaller doses. for 12 years i stayed at home and really just got touches of living out some of my passions/strengths/whatever you want to call them. it was good & worth it, now that my kids are a bit older and in school i have a lot more freedom. the days do come where the kiddos aren't little anymore! but still, i think that we always have to balance it. i always work everything around my kiddos & that is sometimes hard and i feel a bit constrained but i think it's a good constrained actually. it provides a little balance. oh i hope we get to connect sometime soon! i saw heather & kendra at theology pub and we were saying it might be good for another denver EW gathering. lmk! kathy

Amy said...

Jemila, thanks. It seems like we're both walking the path of finding our true identity as we attempt to reach outside our "selves" to understand and meet the needs of the gentle (and sometimes troublesome) souls God has blessed us with. I have found parenting to be an amazing call to look at myself and to learn humility and selflessness. Placing the needs of my children before mine goes against my own natural selfishness and requires reliance on God.

Kathy, thanks for visiting! It's nice to hear from you. I so agree that there has to be that balance in sacrificing outside our gifts and also pursuing those things that delight our natural passions and exercise the giftedness God has planted inside each one. I am fortunate to have those opportunities alongside the sacrifices and they provide sanity for me!

I was just thinking of another EW gathering. I'll send over an e-mail today.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Nice story you got here. It would be great to read more concerning that theme. Thank you for posting that material.