Monday, January 29, 2007

What I Will Tell My Children

Tonight I participated in a very moving ceremony at our church entitled "Rites of Passage". For the last few years our church has sought to include youth in the corporate life of the church. Rites of Passage is the beginning of this quest. Over the course of a weekend, a youth (age 13-20 something) and her parents attend several special meetings culminating in a ceremony on Monday night with the congregation that welcomes her into adulthood. The youth have an opportunity to pray with their parents, with board members and with the pastor. It is truly powerful to participate in this process with these youth.

My heart soared tonight.

The speaker called the young men to stand and spoke into their lives. He called them to be men of responsibility, men with whom the women at the church could feel comfortable and safe. He called them to be warriors. He said they were made in God's image and God was a Warrior.

The speaker called the young women to stand and spoke into their lives. He called them to be women of virtue, princesses, daughters of the King. He told them that they should guard themselves lest they cause God's warriors to stumble. He encouraged them to behave modestly and to dress modestly. He told them that there were parts of their bodies only their husbands should ever see and that they shouldn't wear pants too low or shirts too low-cut. He didn't tell the young women that they are made in God's image. He didn't tell them a lot...

My heart broke tonight.

I wanted to stand and tell them! I wanted to hold their faces in my hands, look into their eyes and tell them that they are created in the image of God! Someone tell them that they are called to be God's warriors! They are called to love with God's unending compassion. They are called to so much more than they were told tonight. I know that's what our church body wants to tell them as well. It's just that so often conservative Christianity has underlying assumptions that we don't think about. We don't think about the subtle and not-so-subtle messages we give our children and how their faith is formed around these messages.

Tonight, I think of what I will tell my children; my two sons and my daughter:

You are created in the image of the Divine God. God has called you. You are to be passionate and you are to be strong in character. You are to fight for those who cannot fight for themselves and you are to shelter them under your wings like a mother hen. God wants you to use your gifts, the gifts given by him, to serve others and show them his mercy and love. You are to give of yourself in order to be made whole. You are called.

I pray for my all my children a faith strong enough for doubt, a will that seeks without end and a heart that loves without boundaries.

6 comments:

Indie Pereira said...

Thanks for reminding me why I've taken my children out of that type of church.

Amy said...

Hi, Indie. Thanks for stopping by.

I understand your sentiment and there are times I want to throw the towel in and start fresh somewhere.

I also feel passionately that my family is involved in this faith community as we evolve together into a missional community passionate about people and their value to God. There is an incredible opennes and desire to move from a so-called "traditional" to this missionally-focused faith.

This is also a community where I have a voice and I am making a difference as we navigate areas such as this. So, despite frustration and angst at times, I am committed and excited to be part of this community. That's why I'm still here! :)

Deb said...

Ugh. I want to weep, too...

You have my respect and prayers for hanging tough in there to make a difference... personally, I would be tempted to have a "rite of passage" for my daughters BEFORE that one so that they would get the message from us first... kinda the way we talk about sex with them, or dating or anything else that we want to weigh in on first...

dgv

Amy said...

Hi, Deb. Thanks for your prayers. I appreciate it.

Great idea on holding our own ceremony prior to the official one. Regardless of how the ceremony is done, I want my husband and I to be the ones to welcome them into adulthood and begin setting the vision for who they will become. Good thought! Thanks for sharing.

thoughts said...

I was there, and my daughter went through it. While most of the experience was possitive, was very aware that the message to her was totally incomplete. We still have so far to go, but we cannot give up. She is a strong woman and I am confident will make a difference for other women.
Sue

Amy said...

Sue, thanks for commenting. It was a really good ceremony.

I had a great talk with the speaker. I'll be helping put together a charge for the women that provides a vision for them.

That's the deal. We as Evangelicals, as Pentecostals, aren't quite sure what to do with women sometimes. And yet despite this, there are very few who actually want to communicate the message to women that they are less valuable and that their gifts are not welcome in the Kingdom.

You're right, Sue. We can't give up. Thanks.