Sunday, February 11, 2007

Emotional Health and the Christian

I'm trying to figure out what emotional health means to a follower of Christ.

We are called to love, to forgive, not to let the sun go down on our anger, when one cheek is slapped to allow the same for the other, when asked to carry a load one mile to offer two. Dwelling this list overwhelms me. I am failing miserably.

This week evidenced yet another cycle of abuse for a dear member of my family. I'm heartbroken that we're at this point again. I'm angry that the trust that has been built up and extended over the course of the last 6 months has been shattered. I'm scared that there is no hope, but long desperately for it. I'm tired. I'm so tired.

What is a Christian response in the midst of rough times? I'm not rejoicing in suffering, that much I know. I'm not wanting to offer to walk an extra mile, either. I want to protect myself. I want to set up a boundary, "I can go this far, but no further." I to protect myself from the pain, the hurt and the anger.

I think God understands how I feel. Right now, I think He is telling me to take a break and cuddle in his lap, my Abba. I think She is telling me that emotions are OK....that they are given by the Divine and are part of the way we reflect God's image. But, I'm not supposed to stop there. Grief and anger are human emotions that must ultimately submit to the God of the Universe. Without allowing that, they will become my gods and I will serve them.

0 comments: