Thursday, May 24, 2007

God's Clothes


Our baby Robins started flapping their wings today, meaning they should be out of their nest in the next week or so. I shot this photo this afternoon, but the birds shied away quickly so I missed the flutter-practice.

Matthew 6:25-34 continues to capture my imagination.

This week I was reading Slaves, Women and Homosexuals by William J. Webb. In it, he exlpores what is called a "redemptive-trend" hermeneutic. As he looks at the creation and fall stories, he examines the clothing of Adam and Eve after the fall.

Genesis 3:21 states, "The Lord God made garments of skin for Adam and his wife and clothed them." This description directly follows the curse. Per Webb, the clothing passage is not part of the curse, but rather the first sign of God's mercy toward humankind. God killed one of his own creation, that which he called "good", in order to cover the shame of Adam and Eve and begin drawing them back into relationship with him. Wow! I've always seen this as an afterthought almost...done primarily because they were embarrassed. The gravity of the situation and the starkness of God's gracious act toward Adam and Eve didn't quite sink in. The precedent for the sacrifical system was set by God.

As I thought about God clothing Adam and Eve in this way, my mind went back to the section in Matthew 6 where Jesus tells his disciples that if the flowers and grasses are clothed more beautifully than Solomon, then surely they can trust God to clothe them.

What does it mean to be clothed by God? That's a question I can't quite get my mind around.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amy,

I have been thinking about wearing God's clothing, too. My sister just died and I realized how close to her I feel when I wear her jewelry or a special garment. Interesting correlation, don't you think?

Amy said...

Guyla, my deepest sympathies on your loss.

Yes, it is an interesting correlation. Especially that as you miss your sister, you very much feel her presence as you clothe yourself what belonged to her. It's a beautiful thing.

I pray for you peace and comfort during this time.

Anonymous said...

Hey I'd love to congratulate you for such a terrific quality forum!
Was thinking this would be a perfect way to introduce myself!

Sincerely,
Edwyn Sammy
if you're ever bored check out my site!
[url=http://www.partyopedia.com/articles/bridal-shower-party-supplies.html]bridal shower Party Supplies[/url].