Monday, March 19, 2007

Emerging Women's Gathering Recap

I just returned yesterday from the Emerging Women's Gathering in Oregon, IL. The gathering was organized and hosted by Julie Clawson & Sarah Notton, who did a fabulous job! Thanks, ladies!

The theme for the weekend was "Reimagining the Kingdom" and we had a lot of fun doing so in an actual castle. I was able to hook up with friends I met last year at the gathering outside Indianapolis, meet in person friends I've made via the Emerging Women's blog as well as meet some wonderful new friends.

As usual, it's difficult for me to put into words what times like this weekend mean to me. I went expecting, but also knowing that to receive, I needed to actively engage in the time as well. For an introvert in a new place, that can sometimes be difficult for me. But, enter and engage I did! I even tried sushi for the first time (not necessarily a spirtual thing, but fun and quite tasty)!

Through the course of the weekend, we were led in some new worship experiences including centering prayer, lectio devina, body prayer and the labyrinth. I enjoyed so much the wonderful freedom and reimagining of life and God that comes simply through stepping out in new experiences and finding God there.

As I remember the times I shared with the other women over meals, in workshops and just hanging out, I am profoundly grateful. It is beautiful when women share and encourage and engage each other in their spiritual jouneys. It's also an incredible experience to be in the midst of incredibly intelligent women discussing theology and the impact that theology has on our day-to-day activities; the process of reimagining and bringing that vision into reality within our lives. I am blessed to know that as I continue on my journey, my arms are linked with others who support me as I support them in our journey together.

4 comments:

Kate said...

I am so jealous! One of these days, I'll make it to one...

Anne said...

Amy, thanks for sharing! I'd like to know more about "body prayer". Do you have any resources or...oh, wait. Maybe I should ask on the EmergingWomen blog. Thanks so much for sharing your experience tho!

Amy said...

Hi, Anne. Thanks for stopping by.

Kathryn Prill, co-author with Doug Pagitt of "BodyPrayer: The Posture of Intimacy with God" led us in the body prayer experience. I hadn't heard of it before, but I know they'll have more information in the book. It's listed on amazon.com.

Dsrtrosy said...

Hey honey!!! How are things since Chicago? I am finally beginning to feel better...and I'm getting excited about what is going to happen after Easter. When are you coming to Albuquerque? LOVE YOU! --Sarah--