Sunday, March 04, 2007

Milestone: Growing Up

Today we've experienced a new step of freedom and independance.

As of today, all our children are in big kid beds. We purchased bunk beds for the boys two weeks ago. They moved out of their little kid beds into the world of the big boys and the fight over the top bunk. For some reason, that did not hit me as hard as moving Elianna into her big girl bed today. I had almost decided to pack the bed away for a few more months until my husband decided he thought it was a great day to purchase the mattress and get everything set up.

Elianna was thrilled. It's almost as if we gave her a throne on which to rule the household...which is probably not far from the truth in her mind. I got to see her face light up as she asked, "My bed?" and we answered, "Yes, your bed." I am constantly amazied by the wonder of the world through the eyes of a child. Wonder was definitely the look on her face as we presented this gift, both the physical bed and the freedom of being a "big girl" in this way.

In the midst of her joy, I also felt a profound sadness. This is it. No more cribs around here. I don't have babies anymore. I have three incredible, inventive children, but no more babies. In a sense, I'm growing up too. I'm learning the life of a mother of preschool and school age children. This is not just a milestone for my daughter, it's a milestone for me. It seems like as parents we become, at least in part, defined by the milestones of those who are the driving force in our life.

Tonight, we peaked in on Elianna, sound asleep in her new bed. She was in the same position I left her in when I kissed her good night; her dark hair fanned out around her sweet face; an incredible peace and contentment as she rested in this new bed. Then we peaked in on the boys, Aaron curled up on the top bunk and Nate sucking away on his thumb on the bottom. I'm so grateful for each of them. The way they bless me and the way they challenge me. We are family. I guess it makes sense for us to grow up together

0 comments: