Monday, March 12, 2007

Spring

Ahhh...if only I could write an "ode to Spring"...

It's a beautiful 70 degree day here in Colorado. It feels a long time coming this year since our winter had many more snow days and overall cloudy, winter weather than we've been used to over the last several years. The snow, once about 5 feet high in the back yard is now only a small patch of about 2 feet by 1 foot and about 4 inches high. The front has a bit more, but that will be gone shortly as well.

My kids and I ventured into the back yard to play after lunch today. While they busied themselves playing soccer and pretending to drive an ice-cream truck, I began cleaning dead leaves out of the garden area and trimming back perennials I should have taken care of last fall. The irises and tulips are poking through and the lilies are starting to show signs of life as well. My favorites, the peonies, will take a little longer. About the first of June they'll be in bloom with their large, hot pink flowers. They don't last long, but they sure make a great show!

Thank you, Lord, for Spring. Thank you for sunshine, for fresh growth, for hope.

0 comments: