Thursday, March 01, 2007

Loving God vs. Loving Theology

This quote is from Jesus Creed, quoting Mark Allen Powell in another book (in progress, apparently at the time of writing):

We cannot have a relationship with our "christology" - we can
have a relationship with Jesus Christ.

Our "soteriology" cannot save us from our sins - our Savior can.

Our "ecclesiology" does not make us one - the Lord of the Church does.

Our "eschatology" will not transform this flawed universe - Jesus the
King of King and Prince of Peace will do that.

And, no matter how much we love "theology" - it will never love us back.


McNight closes this chapter by stating, "Only God in Christ loves us, and that is why believing is a relationship."

How TRUE! So often I pursue knowledge about God over relationship with God. It's easier for me to think about God, his qualities and how he interacts with humanity. It's much more difficult to translate that into an intimate relationship where I lay myself before him, trusting in God, believing...truly believing.

4 comments:

Jim Ladd said...

Man, what a great insight, Amy!
Jesus told the disciples, "Do not rejoice that demons are subject to you in my name. Rather, rejoice that your names are written in the Lamb's book of Life"!

Loving God FIRST and loving God MOST is what it's all about!

Amy said...

Hi, Pastor Jim! It's nice of you to stop by.

Yes, loving God is of utmost importance. What I liked about this chapter in particular was the activity involved in "believing" in Jesus. The example was the Syro-Phoenician woman and her determination for Jesus to meet the needs of her daughter. She did not accept "no" from the disciples, nor did she accept an apparent "no" from Jesus. She must have made the decision to push through and had a faith that was certain to continue in her request. It went past intellectual belief to belief of the heart.

Kate said...

ouch! When I wrote on our SS site about relating to Jesus as teacher the most, it was similar to this. The respectful distance that comes with the theory, philosophy, theology, 'conversations' etc, is so comfortable for me. It gives me space and get alludes to closeness.
As I try to find my prayer/intimate voice with God I'm hoping that I'll close the books and open my heart.

Amy said...

Kate, "ouch" was my response, too!